Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Blog Hop: Three Things About Me

Today's Tuesday Blog Hop Topic is "Three Things You Might Not Know About Me."










1) I happily married the man of my dreams when I was 30 years old.

I decided to wait for "the one." There were many times I doubted my decisions and thought "I should have settled by now" but I'm so glad that I waited for him. I've been blessed many times over by my relationship with my husband.












2) My flute playing is theraputic for me.

Whenever I've had to deal with emotional pain in life, I play my flute. I didn't start learning how to play the flute until my freshmen year of high school. Many people were amazed at my decision to make it my major in college. Most flute players start in elementary school. However, I put a lot of my teenage "angst" into my flute playing. I thrived on making great strides in a short amount of time. I did end up majoring in music education and although I am currently a stay-at-home mom; I still play today.












3.) I've recently discovered I'm a hypocrite.

I have asked many non-Christian and Christian friends about Christianity and the church and why people are so turned off. The answer I most often hear is "they're a bunch of hypocrites." This saddens me because Christ calls us to love one another, not judge and these people feel judged and not love. Where's the disconnect? Why are they feeling that way?

I often thought it was because they misunderstood Christianity and just thought it was a bunch of rules that Christians were saying all people should be following perfectly. I figured maybe they think I'm supposed to be perfect so they just misunderstand that Christ forgives us for not being capable of being perfect.

But I have recently come to the realization that Christians are hypocrites because we fail to show love to everyone all the time. Teacher, what is the greatest commandment of all? "To love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and to love your neighbor as yourself."

This is the ultimate summary of Christianity. This is what I stand for. But am I loving my neighbor, customer service representative, aggressive driver, person of the opposite politicial party as myself?

Sadly, no. I'm a hypocrite.

I now realize why people are no longer drawn to Christianity as they once were. People are drawn to love. They will flock to it like a moth to a flame. Fellow Christians, I urge you, rekindle your love for all people, especially those you feel don't deserve it. This is the heart of Christianity.

MckLinky Blog Hop

3 comments:

Proud Parents of Halainah Grace said...

Amen...I just wanted to say I loved your post. God Bless.

Deanna

Kristen Love said...

Great post! You are right- as Christians we need to be a shining example of mercy in this world. One of my favorite quotes is, "YOU may be the only church someone ever goes to."
Nice to meet you!
Kristen

Mrs. Fix said...

This is a great post. And yes, as Christians we are all hypocrites. But how comforting to know that Christ saves sinners like us! Great post -- and I didn't know you started flute in high school -- how impressive!

Swagbucks